Monday, April 28, 2008

Not so good end to the weekend

The weekend ended badly, but first let me address my vision just so there is no confusion nor am I misrepresenting information. I am well aware of my true diagnosis and the reasons behind it (my old age...LOL), but my opthamologist/optometrist (he is both) agrees that my job requiring me to be focused on a computer screen for 8 hours a day, well it plays a part. On to the rest of my weekend.

My nephew had his 8th Birthday party today. It was at my sister's house. They rented one of those large blow-up jumpy things and the kids had a blast. Lots of snacks and fun to be had by all. The weekend took a turn for the worse as we began clean-up. I was helping bring chairs inside from the backyard. The round kitchen table had been put back in its place in the kitchen, there is a large glass light fixture that hangs from the ceiling that they usually center the table under. It was not centered this time. I was arranging chairs around the table and turned to go get more and I slammed the side of my head into this light fixture. The lights went out for a split second and I swear I saw stars. I was off balance and grabbed the side of my head, looked down and saw blood dripping furiously through my fingers toward the floor. I screamed in pain and my family came running. My Mom and sister are both nurses and they were a little freaked. The blood was pouring from my head. My Mom guided me to the sink and I hung my head over it while she grabbed a rag and pressed it to my head. At this point I looked at my hands and saw they were covered with blood and blood was splattering in the bottom of the kitchen sink, I was a little nervous. We moved to the couch so I could lay down and my Mom could continue putting pressure on the wound but also so she could take a peek. The bleeding slowed and my Mom was able to look at the wound and determined it was about an inch long and pretty deep. I continued with the pressure and with ice for the next 30mins and the bleeding stopped. Talk about a headache, I have hit my head fairly hard before but nothing compared to this. As I sit here 9 hours later and several ibuprofen and acetaminophen later I still have a headache. Although I could have used a few stitches I decided against it. I had not desire to sit in an emergency room waiting area for several hours to be seen and then have a Dr. stab me with a needle in the sorest part of my head. I decided to go home, rest and keep an eye on it. I had to wash my hair as it was caked with blood and that wouldn't go over to well at work tomorrow, but at this point I'm not sure if I will go in.

So it started out a good weekend and ended with a huge headache.

No comments:

My journey with family & age related secondary infertility