Saturday, January 26, 2008

Update on eggs

I slept in today, I only woke up to pee and with the thought that the RE should be calling soon. Ring, ring....Hello....Hi Dr. I had a feeling you were going to be calling soon. What's the news? Good news really. All 7 eggs, surprisingly very good quality. 6 eggs are grade B and 1 is a grade C. He says that is great for someone my age (40). I tell him I tried to make more, but he said he was actually happy with what we got, all 7 are quality mature eggs, all 7 fertilized and all 7 are dividing. In most cases not all the eggs are mature, less fertilize and even less divide, so we are in a good place. My dear hubby and I decided to brave the dreaded PIO shot alone and with only a few Internet videos for instruction, in addition to the verbal instructions we received from the RE's nurse and my Mom (a nurse). We were going to drag my sister (a nurse) into this science experiment as my Mom was working. But we got brave and impatient so what the hell. In case anyone reads this I will explain what worked for me. I got the heating pad warming up on the upper right quadrant of my butt while hubby drew up the 1cc of PIO in the syringe. He used the 22 gauge 1 1/2 inch needle to draw up the PIO, he found it was a little difficult to do as it is thick so you may want to warm it up in your hand or under your arm before you swab the rubber top with the alcohol swab. Once he drew up the PIO we left the needle on and he brought the syringe to me. I put it in the fold of the heating pad and continued to keep it on my rump. After a few minutes I checked to make sure the syringe and oil were only warm and not hot. Hubby then changed the needle to a 22 gauge 1 inch needle as I am thin with very little body fat (don't hate). I had my Mom, sister and RE nurse check to make sure that the needle was long enough, although most people require a 1 1/2 inch needle. Some people use 25 gauge needles, but the 22 gauge only stung a little and I did not feel the oil going in. Hubby rubbed the injection site with the heel of his palm for a minute and then I put the heating pad on the injection site for about 5 minutes. The whole process was short and almost painless, it wasn't worth the anxiety that built up to the point. Several hours later I have only slight tenderness at the site and no lumps that I can feel. I am not jumping for joy that I have to do more of these for who knows how long, but I no longer feel the dread when thinking about them.
We have an 8:30am appt. with the RE in the morning for a possible transfer of 2 of our embryos, possible because the RE will make his decision in the morning after a peek at the embryos to decide whether to transfer tomorrow on day 3 or if he wants to wait and transfer on Tues. day 5. We just want him to transfer on the day that will ensure the best possible outcome for us, which would be a positive pregnancy test.

No comments:

My journey with family & age related secondary infertility