Friday, January 25, 2008

Retrieval Day

After very little sleep last night we awoke bright and early and made our way to the RE's office. In spite of the traffic we arrived on time and ready to go. Surprisingly enough I was not nervous, maybe a little anxious, but not nervous. I was at the "let's get this over with" stage. I had to fill out some paperwork for the Anesthesiologist and then they took me back, while hubby got to sit in the waiting room with my beloved jewelery in one pocket and his special reading material in his secret pocket. This special reading material was to be used to encourage him to make his deposit for our IVF. I understand he was successful. As for me, they took me back to a pre-op room where was shown a bathroom with lockers for my clothes and given a gown, socks and a lovely lunch-lady hat. After changing the nurse, who by the way was super sweet, started my IV. I have always had them in my hands but they prefer to put them in the arm, actually in the crook of my arm. At first it was uncomfortable but once they flushed it and started the saline I was fine. After a brief discussion with the Anesthesiologist I walked into the OR suite. That was a little weird. I have only had a few surgeries, but each time I was given a sedative first and then wheeled into the room. So anyway I hop on the table, lay down and they proceed to get me set up, strap my arms down (didn't freak me out) and check to see if my legs in the stirrups were comfortable (they kept me covered as it was cold in the room). I started to feel a little woozy and asked if the Anesthesiologist had given me something, I remember his response of yes and that was it for me. I was out, or at least I think I was. I recall hearing a woman screaming and was grateful to learn later it was not me. I awoke fully a little later to the sounds of the same woman moaning. Nurse checked on me repeatedly and told me that while groggy I offered to sing for them but didn't...LOL. I really felt fine at that point, just sleepy. After I assume an hour or so had passed I was allowed to dress and was taken to the exit where hubby was waiting with our van. He had already received my post-op instructions so we were on our way home. I was soooo thirsty so we stopped and got me a drink and some hashbrown cakes. I made some calls to my Mom and son to let them know I was ok. We made it home with no nausea for me. I got changed and took some Tylenol and watched tv for about 30 mins. After that the effects of the anesthesia that still lingered told me it was time to sleep again. I did use a heating pad for my lower abdomen and lower back, alternating between the two. After sleep much of the day and evening I was able to do my son's homeschool stuff for the next day and eat dinner. I was only able to take one dose of the Doxicycline today as I was told to wait till I knew I could keep it down. At this point (12:28pm) I am still having mild to medium cramping and lower back pain. I took some Tylenol PM for pain and to help me sleep. I am supposed to work tomorrow, it's a desk job. Fortunately hubby is the boss so it's up to me if I go in.

Ohhh, I almost forgot the most important part. I was told the other day that we had 12 - 15 follicles which made me feel pretty good. Anyway after procedure and on the way home I tell hubby that no one told me how many eggs were collected. He tells me that RE informed him that they collected 7 eggs.......yep that's it. RE is not sure how many are mature. We never found out exactly how many follicles I had, but if the initial count was correct then almost half of my follicles were empty. How depressing is that. The RE told my hubby I was showing my age at this point. I was too groggy to be disappointed this morning but early this evening I had a minor crying jag with hubby on the phone (he was picking up dinner and kids). Hubby said he feels good about this cycle. And he reminded me that we have enough for 3 -4 transfers and that it only takes one egg, but 7 and that is before we know if they are any good. Although the office called today to ask about the Follistim we were trading in exchange for cryo. So maybe that means we have enough for that option. I know, I know, it only takes one and we really only want one. I just feel weepy, probably due to all the meds, the anesthesia, and a little disappointment at only having 7 eggs. We are supposed to get a call from the office on Sat. to let us know when transfer is, but hubby was told it would probably be Sun.
So there we have it.....7 eggs as of today.

No comments:

My journey with family & age related secondary infertility