Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It is worse

Today after a sleepless night we went to see the RE, not my normal RE (he's a little odd but still pretty smart), but the Dr. on call for him while he is on vacation. She was extremely concerned and compassionate on the phone yesterday. So they got us right in and I was told to strip from the waist down and empty my bladder. Dr. came in shortly after and looked over the Radiologist report from yesterday and asks me tons of questions about my pain, symptoms, cycle, etc. After all that we get down to the nitty gritty and start the trans-vaginal ultra-sound. She must drive a Jetta and not a Ferrari like my regular RE. Anyway, she took her time and located the ovarian cyst which is quite large, it's on my right ovary and it wasn't there on Feb 20th or Feb 28th and neither was a follicle. The Dr. seems to think that it might be bleeding and that could be the source of my flank and shoulder blade pain. As she looks at my uterus she discovers two sacs, one a little larger than the other. At first she was not inclined to think that either was a pregnancy. But the longer she looked and the more angles she looked from she seriously started to believe this was two early pregnancies. She saw the white ring around the sacs, saw potential fetal poles in each. After getting the dates of my last two periods and their duration she looked at the little conception/due date wheel and said there was a strong possibility I was pregnant. Talk about shock. I wanted so bad to feel happy and excited, hubby was nervous and asking tons of questions as my brain was frozen.
After everything we had been through over the past 2 years and we might be pregnant for real. My HCG was not back from the day before so she decided to send me downstairs to the lab to have another one done. It would be useful as a reference if the first one came back positive. We headed downstairs and got the blood draw and then back upstairs to wait. They decided to send us on our way and promised to call as soon as they got either result. Inside I was terrified, terrified something was wrong and terrified I wouldn't be pregnant after all. I put on my best face and agreed to go to work for as long as I could tolerate the pain.
Half way to the office and my cell rings....it was the RE, the HCG from yesterday came back negative. She was sorry but I was not pregnant. Kicked in the gut once again. I asked questions that I can't recall now. She doubted my results from today's test would be different but would call me if they were. She said the mystery deepened and would talk to my RE and see where he wanted to go from here.
Several hours later I get a call from the RE again, she had spoken to my regular RE and explained everything to him. He wants to see me in the morning for his own look see. So in we go again at 9:45 am. Who knows. What I do know is that I feel worse than I felt before, I am still in pain and now the emotional pain is worse. I felt like we were handed a gift and then it was yanked out of our hands before we could open it. I so wanted to believe that all of our prayers had been answered. I am grateful for the care I have received the past two days but I wanted a different answer. I am hoping to get more info tomorrow and maybe my Lap. surg. will get bumped up. The RE we saw today feels I probably have scar tissue and endo that is causing my abdominal pain.
Also my primary physician called today to inform me of my blood work. Except for not being pregnant all my other blood tests were great. So I guess I can be grateful for that.

No comments:

My journey with family & age related secondary infertility