Thursday, December 20, 2007

I just love a chilled uterus

Man oh man it was awesome........not! We had our IVF consult today. It started off with lovely greetings all around and then request to take my pants off and plant myself on the table, what a way to start the day. I asked the nurse what we are doing, she directed my eyes to the counter.....ugh...I should have remained ignorant. Dr. comes in, confirms that I started the birth-control pills on Dec 14th, I lay back and the fun begins. But first I have a question for him...why do I have this internal buzzing in the vicinity of my right ovary. Don't laugh, ever since I started these bc pills I have been experiencing this weird buzz, on more than one occasion I checked my pocket to make sure I didn't leave my cell phone in there on vibrate. Nope, that was not the case, as the buzzing continued intermittently, even in the bathtub and I can assure you although I might have a belly roll there are no pockets on my body. He takes a peek with the wonderful, light saber size vaginal ultra-sound wand and sees zip. So we decide that it's probably just the alarm on my biological clock and got a great laugh out of it.

Ok, back to the fun part, I get in position and he proceeds with an explanation of a saline infused ultra-sound. It involves a large tube, my cervix and a speculum. Ask me which was my favorite part of the equation. Pain, pain, ok I am not a wimp. I have given birth to two children vaginally with no pain medication, no problem. But I was young and stupid then, now I am old and chicken. He tells me he needs to know the depth of my uterus, no, you really don't I say. So my cervix and uterus were in no mood for this invasion. As I am trying to breathe through this what do I feel? My insides went strangely cold, very cold. Hello....um, what are you doing? Let's just say it was an interesting sensation, with the bonus of the cold fluid leaking out between my legs. During all this he's getting a measurement on my uterus and a nice look-see. My husband said it looked like fireflies flying around in there........HUH? It seemed like forever, but I will admit it probably lasted 5 minutes max. Let me tell you my uterus was cramping after that, not to mention the trail of water I was leaking onto the floor.

After dressing and walking slowly down the hall we met with the Dr. and then the IVF coordinator to get all the nitty-gritty details. Without dragging it out, we discussed the timeline and process, all the meds and finally the financial aspect of this process. We had a pretty good-idea of the basics, but still we had a moment of sticker-shock. After letting it all settle in we are confident in our decision to follow through with this method of becoming parents together. I am to stay on these awful femcon bc pills, taking my last one on Jan 6th with my first baseline ultrasound appt. scheduled for Jan 10. From there we will be instructed on medication dosages. We are looking at retrieval and transfer taking place the week of Jan 21. On that note I am going to soak in the hot bath in hopes of thawing out my uterus....Brrrrrrrrr

No comments:

My journey with family & age related secondary infertility